Quick Tips for Accommodating Students with Disabilities in the Classroom
If you have any questions, at any time about working with a student with a disability, please contact the CEA office by emailing us at email@example.com or by phone at 479-575-3104. We are happy to work with any faculty or instructor.
- Invite students with disabilities to meet with you privately to discuss their
- accommodation needs.
- Review their accommodation packets with them. Discuss how accommodations are to be
- facilitated, and follow up the discussion with an email.
- Have all course materials available several weeks in advance of their use, particularly for
- students who utilize converted text (e.g., audio format)
- Provide outlines and/or copies of overheads or Microsoft PowerPoint presentations on a
- course website or Blackboard.
- Identify a potential note-taker for your course (note: you will be contacted by the CEA
- office by email if one is needed).
- Identify potential alternative testing locations in advance for students who need extended
- time and a distraction-reduced testing environment.
- Consult with CEA on access concerns (including website and PDF accessibility).